$85.00 – $440.00
Archives that meet the criteria below are encouraged to become institutional members of the CNSA. All employees and volunteers within an archives with an institutional membership will receive the benefits listed below.
*At the Annual General Meeting May 9, 2019, members approved a 10% fee increase for all institutional category members, effective April 1, 2020.
Qualifications for Institutional Membership:
This membership category is open to Nova Scotian organizations housing materials with long-term archival value and who have the following:
- Written mandate. Approved by a governing body of the public authority or private organization in which the archives is a unit of responsibility.
- Acquisition Policy including acquisitions goals and scope of acquisition;
- Access Policy specifying any restrictions on access to records (including viewing and photocopying);
- Preservation Policy
- Designated individual. Accountable for the Archives operation who may be paid staff, volunteer or the responsibility for the archives can be part of another job description. The individual should have either taken, or be pursuing basic training in archival practice.
- Secure, designated space. Adequately protected from degradation agents such as water, fire, light and extremes of temperature and humidity for storage and handling of records.
- Open hours. Equivalent to 1 day per week, may include by appointment hours.
If your archives meets the above criteria and you would like to join as an institutional member, or have your associate institutional membership upgraded, please contact the Archives Advisor.
Benefits of Institutional Membership:
- Voting Privileges at the Annual General Meeting
- Eligible to compete for annual project funding via PADP (Provincial Archival Development Program)
- Participation in NS Cooperative Acquisition Strategy
- Free storage space for colour stills and moving images in provincial Cold Vault at Nova Scotia Archives
- Eligible to apply for the CNSA’s Professional Development & Training Assistance Bursary
- Participation in MemoryNS, Nova Scotia’s union database of archival descriptions
- Access to Emergency Recovery supplies
- Eligible for nomination to win a CNSA Award
- Discounts on archival supplies from Carr McLean of Toronto
- Preservation Monitoring Equipment loan program (data loggers, light meters)
- Free advice from a professional archivist
- Subscription to CNSA-L email message board (listserv)
- Free lending library
- Volunteering opportunities on committees or the Executive Board
- Transportation subsidy to attend CNSA training events
- Discount for Annual Conference and advanced level workshop registration
- Eligible to attend Core Curriculum workshops